Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Squonk Opera - Commentary Invite



Please comment your thoughts after our visit to Squonk Opera's Studio Visit in Tarentum, PA last Friday.  You can add your post to this one so we can all comment on each other's reflections about their art practice, their approach to both music, theatre and video in the construction of their shows.

3 comments:

  1. I was intrigued at the bare bones of it all; their attitudes, their storage area, the materials. It all seems so simple and mundane, then by acts of extreme dedication, coordination, professionalism, and zeal they turn it all into an impressive experience. There is a lot of forethought, and calculating, and the slow accumulation of multiple elements taken as developed as they can get. That they do it all as non-profit is a little weird. I understand why, so as not to give producers any reason to influence, but it seems like so much to do, and not be able to live off of. I know, if it is gratifying and exciting then money is secondary, but it would seem that there would be a way to combine the two. Overall, very informative (but brief) and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination of art, music, and theater is extremely impressive. It seems like the group has a great attitude about it all. I appreciate the effort of working nonprofit to stay free from compromising performances. It is a lot of extra work, but they projected deep feelings of secondary worth to doing what they want when they want to do it. Meeting in Tarentum was very informal, as well as informative. The group seems down to earth, approachable and super friendly. Inviting the gaggle of us out there, sharing their space, showing us their 'shit'.
    The performances of Squonk Opera make laser light shows look like kittens, and all in all vomit greatness over everything else in the genre. The juxtaposition of art, music and theater are impressive at worst. Time consuming and calculated, the use of video is revolutionary.

    I'd like to see one of the performances/rehearsals in the yard. Thumbs up, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our visit to the Squonk Opera mothership offered an impressive insight to their world of performance. They're impeccable ability to combine dance, theater, and visual arts was astounding. Like Mike, and Katie, I found their drive and ambition to create the show through their own means admirable. I really appreciated that they made a conscience effort in not having one art form play secondary to another, every piece was an important part. I really found the "inspiration boards" to be an interesting behind the scenes preceptive at how their creations evolve into these large performaces. Their is an incredible amount of talent, skill, and knowledge which goes into each of these performances. Like Kelsey, I found the mathematics involved in the projection display very arduous; even the slightest measurement being off could ruin the entire show. I am very happy I had the opportunity to see the inter-workings of such a hybrud art form.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.